Friends

Friends
Tasting beer -Nov 2013

Monday, November 3, 2008

No on 8 extended

I have to expand on what was written below. I never meant to offend anyone and I want to make sure that there is some clarity.

Do I understand where some people who are voting YES on 8 are coming from? Yes I do, and its part of the reason I am voting no.

We have so many different cultures, religions and beliefs in our country that I think to an extent we need to step outside of a comfort zone and just listen to how this prop 8 is making gay people feel. No ones religion or beliefs are better than anyone else's, and as much as I believe what I am taught in Church, I also know that I have to be mindful of others because they were not raised in the same church or with the same values.

Never have I said kids only in gay homes are raised better. I think my parents did a fantastic job, along with my friends parents and friends who are parents. I just think that SOME people that are raised in homes where their parents had to deal with discrimination, sexual or racial, have a better understanding of all peoples and teach equality more often.

There have been gays in the world hundreds of years before us. It was common for men of higher classes in the Greek and Roman times to "interact" with one another. So for ages past and ages to come there will always be gay and straight, and society does not have to agree with it, just like with interracial relationships or other religions not their own, but being accepting of it. Marriage is not taught in schools now, nor does is have to if 8 is shot down. Children are going to learn about it anyways, through TV shows and the news, from their friends who have gay parents, when they go to high school and they or their friends come out, they are going to learn about it, and they should. Just like children learning about other races or religions.

Your fears should not restrict the dreams of others, telling gays that they can marry is not going to open the gates of hell and demoralize our country, politics and human nature have done that already. I think that people are smart enough to know the differences between right and wrong. Just because you don't think its right (anyone who reads this) doesn't mean its wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came across your blog and read this post. Obviously, you are entitled to your vote & beliefs but I am a YES on 8. I have a few gay friends and even a gay cousin & that's okay, but I don't think that I have to change my lifestyle for yours. A few other things that came to mind when reading this...

-You are right in sayign that marriage is not taught in schools today and probably won't be. I believe that's the way that the NO campaign is makeing people think that same-sex will not be taught in school. The marriage part won't, but homosexuality will. And yes, my child will learn about same-sex relationships, but should he have to learn about it at such a young age like 5 or 6?(That's what happened in other states) I hope that it's farther along in life when I have to have that talk so that he can understand it. I don't think I can really make my young child understand that.

Do you really think that the only way someone can go through rough times and be persecuted is by your sexual orientation or race? I was an unwed mother & only 17 when I got pregnant and people were very nice to me. I also know for a fact that some of the people that weren't very nice to me were gay. I teach my child every day that no matter what someone looks like or what someone does (even if it's something I believe is wrong)you treat them with respect. We all go through our own tough times and some are tougher than others.

My friends are my friends because of how we get along and treat eachother. That doesn't mean that I have to give up what I believe in though especially when it affects my childrens future.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say that people weren't very nice to me when I was a young, unwed mother.

Andrea said...

children are naturally curious and to teach them that their feelings maybe vaild is okay. Did you know that when kids grab them selves like they have to pee and when you ask them if they need to go they say no...they are grabing themselves because it feels good. They dont know what the feeling means, but they like it. They dont know that its not polite to do that in public yet, but they are exploring themselves sexually. Maybe to teach a child if they have feelings of sorts for people of the same sex is normal, it might later in life if that child grows up and is gay they know its not wrong and maybe the chance of less suicides will happen.

Andrea said...

Rough times are had by all, I didnt mean to leave you out. I have a girl friend who was married and had a child, she is in the process of a divorce and raises her son on her own and people look at her wrong. Because of what she is going threw she is teaching her son to not look at or treat someone differently.I applaud you for what you are doing.