Friends

Friends
Tasting beer -Nov 2013

Friday, March 13, 2009

Addiction

Why write about addiction you maybe thinking...such a heavy subject I know, but everyone has one...even you. Don't shake your head no at me...you do!!! Drugs, sex, alcohol, shopping, eating, color (yeah there are people who are addicted to color) cleaning...the list goes on. BUT...BUT...thats not the part of addiction that I want to talk about.

I want to talk about the things that cause the addiction.

I am addicted to shopping. Its a problem. When I have a bad day I have this urge to go shopping...like blow all my money shopping.When the boyfriend and I have an argument and I leave the house that urge, that dying urge to shop takes a hold of me. When I for no reason have a funky day I want to go shopping.

So after reading the above paragraph lets look at what causes me to shop...BAD DAYS!! I know what your saying...well if your having a bad day don't go near a store...good idea!!! If I don't shop then I replace that with...EATING. So there ends up being another problem...weight gain. I've known about my trigger for a long time, so I have learned that when I have a bad day I need to talk about it. I know that it drives my boyfriend nuts because hes not the talker, but for me, when we fight, I need to get it off my chest right away so that I don't trigger my addiction.

So here is my thought about addiction....

Everyone has an addiction, but the addiction overall is not the problem!!! Its what causes the addiction. For those who know they have an addiction and are working on it by going to meetings or what not, its great...but to fight the addiction I think that people (including me) need to work on what causes the addiction. Once you figure out what it is and work on the CAUSE the addiction, I feel, will on its own subside. It may never fully go away but I think that it will make it easier.

No comments: