Friends

Friends
Tasting beer -Nov 2013

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Judging others and being Judged

This is one we all know from experience. Wether it's when you were little and not included in a game with friends just because you looked different or acted different, or even now, as an adult, being judged by where you live, what kind of work you do, or who you are friends with.

People seem to judge others for any number of reasons. Some might be valid, and some not. 

I say valid, because if you've actually hung around this person or group, and have spoken with them, interacted with them and tried to get to know them, and they just aren't your type of people you want to hang out with, then that's ok!  Not everyone is going to like everyone else in this world, but we still should try to remember to be courteous and civil.

I've tried being friends with a girl from my home town. She's married to someone I used to be good friends with, but have since gone our separate ways and are no longer on speaking terms. I guess my nostalgia has gotten to me and feel a need to reconnect since it's been 4-5 yrs since we last spoke. I don't have a phone number or email for my former friend, but the girl has a blog that I read on occasion, to see what's going on in their lives. 

I've tried to befriend her on myspace, facebook, etc. but I've been denied.  I feel she's judging me, due to only what my former friend has told her. Apparently it's not nice things. I feel hurt, and angry about this, because I truly think she and I could be good friends and we have a lot in common.  Should I just give up, or should I send a Twitter message, lol?! 

I think I deserve a chance to prove who I am and perhaps I've changed enough, that things that are said about me aren't true anymore!  

I know I have judged people in my high school. I won't lie, I did. Now that I'm older, and perhaps a tiny bit wiser, I feel a bit guilty for thinking they were bad people or mean people.
I can think of a few specifically that I have actually talked to on myspace and realized they weren't bad people and I probably should have got to know them better.  

I've found that if I have hung out or talked to someone long enough and I still don't connect or think they're my kind of person, I know I can leave and not have to talk to them again. (unless of course it's someone you work with, then you might want to address this with your HR person) 

Just something to think about and add to your everyday behavior.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I agree. I think that people some times forget that they are human. That everyone is equal. Just because someone my not have the things that you do does not make you any different then them. They might make your life better if they where in it. Everyone diserves a chance.

Now if you do get to know someone and they arent your cup of tea, thats okay...at least you found out for yourself.

If you judge others, in turn you will be judged (and you cant get mad about it!!!)